Sunday, July 21, 2013

Marketing & Career Development: Maximizing your LinkedIn profile

From time to time I get people asking me how to make the most of their LinkedIn profile. Over time, mine has become quite detailed. To get the most out of this professional social media networking tool, I have spent the time to thoroughly create and update my profile, add suitable contacts, and join specific practice-related groups. After doing all of this I've got the modern-day equivalent of a calling card, or resume, that enhances my public reputation and credibility as a professional.  I'm also very thankful to the people who have spent time endorsing me for particular skills, knowledge, and abilities that add to my professional profile, which is a way we can support each other. 

As a result of these combination of things, and other bits of marketing magic, when you Google my name, me and my LinkedIn profile are the first thing that come up. Being able to maximize your exposure when you are in private practice, or business for yourself, is absolutely key to starting to building an audience, networking, and bringing customers in the metaphorical door. 

Another reason you may want to spend some time creating a good LinkedIn profile is that the vast majority of employers now do Internet searches on potential employees. If you have a LinkedIn profile, that will likely be the first thing that pops up in a search and you have been the one to create it and the image you are going for as a professional. 

If you haven't done an Internet search on your name, you should do so ASAP. Sometimes it is surprising what information is out there about you, both personal and professional. A friend recently told me she found her MSW thesis online and she had no idea it was on the 'Net and she doesn't even know how it got there. Have you ever signed a public petition, or signed up for a charity marathon? If you have, your personal information can likely be found online, by anyone, but most importantly, potential employers.

Finally, potential and current clients also do Internet searches on us too. Therefor we want to ensure that what is out there is content we created and reflects the kind of professional image we want to project.


Another post worth checking out: 

21 Steps To The Perfect LinkedIn Profile

1 comment:

  1. Interior Health has allied health jobs
    http://jobs.interiorhealth.ca/

    ReplyDelete