Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I want to wish everyone a healthy, abundant and joyful 2013!


"It's... the squeeze between reality and vision... that causes us to grow up, to wake up, to be one hundred per cent decent, alive and compassionate. The big squeeze is one of the most productive places on the spiritual path and in particular on this journey of awakening the heart" Pema Chodron

I always start my year off engaging in intentional mindfulness practice clearing away the remnants of the past, envisioning that any barriers (usually myself ;-}) are being removed so I can keep moving forward on my journey in the New Year. 

I create intention as I call out for interesting events, people and opportunities to come my way, bringing the happiness, challenges and lessons that I signed up for in this life as I engage in the work and service I bring to the world in my diverse ways. 

This year is going to be one of immense chaos and change, a breaking down of the old, growth and transformation. This will happen at individual and political levels, but also societal, as we're seeing with the growing global momentum of things such as #IdleNoMore. People are awakening to the smoke and mirrors of governments and corporations that are bleeding our societies dry. 

This is a call to arms to social workers and other professionals. We have got to become more active and involved in our communities, in advocating broadly for the best interests of the people we serve and are allies with in whatever ways we can best think of. 

It is only through returning to our roots of more radical social work will we see some of our core values retained. We are at a critical point in our profession and passivity is not serving us well. We are uniquely positioned to connect and build bridges and solidarity with others, to share our knowledge and speak truth to power about what our clients need.

 
The Self Care Project is about helping you find ways to take better care of yourself, to be more resilient. Why? So that you can be more effective and inspired in your work for the common good of our planet and communities.

Find out more: www.theselfcareproject.org
 
“Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” - Audre Lorde

No comments:

Post a Comment